The South Pas Nature Park (officially The South Pasadena Arroyo Seco Woodland and Wildlife Park) is a small parcel along the Arroyo Seco graced with mature coast live oaks, southern walnuts and western sycamores. Planted with sage, buckwheat and other native coastal sage scrub plants the park provides an inviting environment for birds, lizards, squirrels and numerous other critters. Locals too enjoy walking, jogging and horseback riding through the park.
Enjoy the following slideshow with images of the nature park from the 1930s to date. View its transformation from a neglected and degraded site to coastal sage scrub and oak/walnut/sycamore woodland. Better yet, visit the park at the 100 block of Pasadena Avenue in South Pasadena.
Friends of the Nature Park
In 2006 the Friends of the Nature Park was created as a community stewardship group for the park. Join us on Saturdays (usually the third Saturday of the month – with no cleanups in July, August and December – at the South Pas Nature Park on Pasadena Ave. to plant, remove weeds and litter, build paths, and enjoy the park. Come for the whole time, for an hour, or just stop by to say hello!
Learn more about the history of the park and the community’s involvement in its creation and care in the articles:
- Native by Design: Community Involvement in the Creation and Stewardship of a Nature Park, in the California Native Plant Society journal, Fremontia, v. 37, no.2, April 2009, p. 16.
- After the Ribbon Cutting: Tending a Nature Park in South Pasadena in Pacific Horticulture, Winter 2018.
Check the Facebook page, Friends of the So Pas Nature Park for pictures and information on park cleanups and events.
South Pasadena Nature Park Resources
- South Pasadena Nature Park, Facebook Page
- Location, 100 block of Pasadena Ave., South Pasadena
- Nature Park Plan
- Park Stewardship in an Urban Landscape, Fremontia, 2009. pp. 16-19.
- Nature park posts in Wild Suburbia blog
- Nature park plant list, 2018 (165 kb) UPDATED JAN 2018
- Weeds in the Nature Park (3.3 MB)
- Native Plants in the Nature Park (4.1 MB)
- Nature Park Slide Show (short) (12.5 MB)
- South Pasadena and the Arroyo Seco (7 MB)
- The Story of the South Pasadena Nature Park (6 MB) NEW TALK (5/4/2016)
- After the Ribbon Cutting – Tending a Nature Park in South Pasadena, Pacific Horticulture, 2018 NEW ARTICLE, 2018
- Calendar with Park Cleanup Dates