The countdown is 105 days until the big day. And a busy month it has been.
1. First, the fence is nearly done on the west side of the backyard.
Still waiting for two gates to be completed. One opens to our neighbors’ driveway and the other goes behind our garage. I will be using that space as a potting area.
2. Next, I removed the old camellia in front of the garage.
Now we need to paint the garage. Our neighbors have given us free rein to paint it any color(s). I bought brick red and mustard yellow. When the guy at the paint store asked whether I was a USC fan I realized that of all the colors I could have chosen these were not the most diplomatic since our neighbors are UCLA fans. We’ll see.
3. Next I attacked the Twin Peaks #2 coyote bush (Baccharis pilularis ‘Twin Peaks #2). I hope it isn’t too late for it to grow back before the wedding. If it is, I will remove it. I’m feeling brutal these days.
Milo thinks it looks mighty ugly.
4. Made more monkeyflower cuttings, seeded pots with poppies and gilias, planted two 4″ hummingbird sages (Salvia spathacea ‘Pilitas’) in the front under the deodar. Removed 2 deergrass plants (Muhlenbergia rigens) from near the large oak and planted them in pots. They were taking too long to get going and I wanted to clear the space for wedding tables.
5. Weeding and weeding. With all of the rain this year there have been so many weeds that it is hard to keep on top of it.
Fuchsia-flowering gooseberry (Ribes speciosum) continues to bloom in the woodland garden.
Claremont pink currant (Ribes sanguineum var. glutinosum ‘Claremont’) is in full bloom.
The monkeyflowers and wildflowers, poppies and globe gilias, are just starting to bloom. The hummingbird sage is blooming, as is the one of unknown identify (Pacific Blue or munzii/brandeegei cross).
Snow peas, Swiss chard, lettuce, herbs, celery (though it is bitter), avocados and more avocados, and that silly tomato plant that looks like hell but keeps producing more pretty good tasting tomatoes.
And finally, on an unrelated note, I got a dress for the wedding. Phew!!! It is such a relief. My kids are completely sick of hearing about the wedding. Hope it isn’t boring the rest of you as well. Gotta try to keep that under control…