|Toyon, also known as
Christmas berry (Nov)
Another toyon? A few more coral bells? California buckwheat? These are some of the plants that I think I need (as compared with what my husband thinks I need…) to fill out our rather heavily planted native plant garden. I am thinking about them because I’m busy ordering plants for the California Native Plant Society – San Gabriel Mts. Chapter annual native plant sale.
Once again we will have a nice selection (2012 plant list) of about 100 different types of plants with a total of about 1,800 pots, along with seed packets of California native wildflower mix. This year we will have some member-produced natives as well. If this works out well and there is interest we may expand that part of the sale in the future, though we will continue to provide excellent quality natives from local growers as well.
As usual there will be plenty of volunteers to help shoppers pick out plants, or just to chat about gardening with natives.
And speaking of volunteers, it takes a lot of people to make a successful plant sale. Volunteers, members or non-members, are welcome and appreciated. If you can help, even for only a few hours, please send a message via the CNPS-SGM Contact Us page.
|Cliff McLean giving volunteers last minute instructions.|
Helpers are needed in the following ways:
- Prior to the sale time: Advertising Signage Catalog preparation and copying
- Friday (the day before the sale): Unload plants Arrange plants on the Nature Center patio
- Saturday (the sale day): A variety of activities throughout the day
- Early morning setup
- Provide food for the volunteer team
- Assist customers with plant information
- Write up plant purchase slips
- Coordinate sale of T-shirts, books, CDs
- Staff the CNPS information and membership table
- Assist the cashiers
- Haul purchased plants to customers’ cars
- Clean up at the end of the day
Into the Garden Native Plant Sale
California Native Plant Society – San Gabriel Mts Chapter
November 9, 2013, 9 am – 2 pm
Eaton Canyon Nature Center
Pasadena, CA 91107